I’m chilled to the bone after picking three baskets of green tomatoes off of the vine. It’s hard to admit that winter is knocking on the door. My family has been pickling spicy green tomatoes for as long as I can remember and although they are phenomenal, I wanted to find some unique uses for my final harvest. Here is a list of 5 creative recipes I found using green tomatoes… I can’t wait to try them!
1. The Green Bloody Mary AKA The White Bloody Mary. I love a good Bloody Mary! Heck, my first interest in canning came from wanting to make my own pickles… for bloodies. I have yet to try a Green Bloody Mary but it entails the obvious, green tomatoes, as well as onions, tomatillos, lime juice, garlic and fresh herbs. Mmm!
2. Green Tomato Soup This soup uses 2 pounds of green tomatoes and sounds absolutely delightful for the chilly fall nights ahead.
3. Grilled Green Tomato Caprese If you grew basil in your garden this year, chances are you have excess of that as well. This twist on the classic Caprese uses both green tomatoes and basil! It sounds divine, I can’t wait to give it a try!
4. Mexina Salsa Verde We love salsa in our household! This recipe looks incredibly simple and the reviews are great as well.
5. Green Tomato Ketchup Although this recipe takes several hours to prepare, it has to be the most unique use of green tomatoes that I have heard of! The recipe sounds incredible and it can also be processed in a waterbath – what a special gift this would make!
What do you make with your excess green tomatoes?
Peggy Sue says
The Bloody Mary mix sounds great.
Wow! What a great round up, I would have never have guessed you can make all of this with green tomatoes
That salsa looks so good! I could go for some chips and salsa right about now!
Autumn Eaton says
It’s been a long time since I had a green tomatoe, the salsa verde looks good.
Get Your Pretty On (@alisonlumbatis) says
My mom just asked me to make her some fried green tomatoes yesterday. LOL! I wasn’t aware that there were so many ways you could use green tomatoes. These look yummy!